Why not? We have 11 hours to go and the media is giving us non-stop coverage so let’s at least get drunk.
Unless otherwise indicated, take a drink when…
- Someone explains the “cliff” is really a gentle slope or some other nicer analogy — It’s the ultimate, “look at me, I’m a more nuanced pundit” statement. And yes, I understand I’ve fallen into this one myself.
- An elected official pleads for someone else to provide “leadership” — It’s much easier than doing it yourself.
- Every time you see a new Senator — e.g. first time you see Tom Harkin on TV today, take a drink; when you see Chris Coons, take a drink
- Joe Biden makes a public statement — He’s Mitch McConnell’s “dance partner” apparently, so it’s possible.
- The Tea Party caucus referenced as the real source of the problem getting a deal — ’cause they are
- We’re reminded that the Republicans actually created the fiscal cliff — Finish your drink if Obama calls out Republicans by using a variation of “You Did Build That.”
- You see video from a few years ago showing Republicans talking about how great a fiscal cliff would be — Finish your drink
- The Payroll Tax increase — Does anybody remember the Payroll Tax increase coming tomorrow? Neither side wants to keep this cut so everyone is eerily quiet about it. If you hear about it, take a sip
- Benghazi — Fox just goes, “Fuck it, let’s talk about Benghazi instead.”
- Bush/Obama tax cuts — The deal is described as turning the “Bush tax cuts” into the “Obama tax cuts” — Another “I’m a nuanced pundit” statement about the political “win” Obama will get under any resolution of the impasse
- Estate tax hike referred to as “death tax”
- McConnell reaches a deal and other Senators filibuster it — with bipartisan opposition to some proposed deals, it’s possible. Finish your drink if this results in actual filibuster reform
- There’s no deal by midnight — Finish your drink…sell your stock portfolio