This story is developing fast, so it’s hard to get a good, long view yet. But I thought I’d gather the immediate responses and present them for your amusement/horror.
First, here are all 23 Executive Orders that Obama signed today:
1. “Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.”
2. “Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.”
3. “Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.”
4. “Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.”
5. “Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.”
6. “Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.”
7. “Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.”
8. “Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).”
9. “Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.”
10. “Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.”
11. “Nominate an ATF director.”
12. “Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.”
13. “Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.”
14. “Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.”
15. “Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.”
16. “Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.”
17. “Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.”
18. “Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.”
19. “Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.”
20. “Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.”
21. “Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.”
22. “Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.”
23. “Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.”
So are conservatives reacting calmly and reasonably? Of course not.
The NRA has put out a juvenile ad bashing Obama for using the Secret Service to protect his daughters instead of pushing for armed guards in every school in America. And because Obama actually is seeking additional funding for school security, the underlying premise doesn’t even make sense.
An Oregon sheriff has announced that he will refuse to enforce Obama’s executive orders. I’m sure that’ll turn out well.
And then the Twitterverse:
@RIGHTZONE OBAMA IS A CRIMINAL. WE HAVE A CONSTITUTION AND HE IS BOUND TO IT! NO MORE EXECUTIVE FIAT RULE! IMPEACH OBAMA!
All caps rules.
@dan_grin Executive orders? Do you guys realize that by DEFINITION Obama is committing treason? #impeach
No. But that’s because I have a law degree and a clean bill of mental health. Just to clarify, conservatives understand the laws regarding treason just about as well as they understand the actual text of the Second Amendment.
@truthseeker4747 We need to impeach this fucking guy NOW!! #NWO #policestate #constitution
The hashtag for “New World Order” sums up the wingnut mentality driving the resistance to gun control. It’s ugly and the best thing to come out of this debate has been the average American getting a clear look at these jerks.
Finally, the always awesome @YesYoureRacist has collected some real gems from America’s finest racists.
RT @ACEKICKER56 Obama… new gun bans without Congress? Sounds like that ni**er is trying to get shot. #Impeach